Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gardening to Save Money

An interesting article appeared in the New York Times over the weekend, titled: Banking on Gardening. It's about, what else, saving money by growing your own food. Apparently this year saw record numbers of new gardeners purchasing seeds and gardening supplies. At Greenview Gardens, where my husband and I have kept a vegetable garden for the last four years, we are for the first time seeing no vacant spaces.

Are you new to gardening? Do you garden to save money? Tell us about it by commenting on this post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I save money on produce during the summer by growing my own. Cherry tomatoes and raspberries are expensive to buy and so I grow them myself. Also, I eat more produce because I just walk into my yard to get it, and it's fresh, not picked early or decaying at the bottom of the container. The tomato problem shakes my confidence in store produce, so I am glad to have plenty of items in my garden. Thanks for an interesting website. -J

a2projectgrow said...

Thanks for reading! Do you preserve your produce? i.e. canning, freezing, or drying?